Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Virtus and Abuse

After completing the Virtus training with Sister Harriet Hamilton, I left with more knowledge of sexual abuse than I thought possible in a school setting.  I've realized that as a teacher, and state mandated reporter, it is possible to make a difference if you suspect suspicious behavior.  By noting that maybe an adult is getting a little close or a little to friendly around a child, and reporting this activity to your superiors, you could prevent an act of sexual abuse and a save a child or children from something that will traumatize them for life.  If unsettling behavior is not reported, that potential perpetrator will remain to have access to children and have the opportunity to cause harm.  I am glad I was able to partake in this workshop and learn things that will definitely benefit my professional career and knowledge of the horrors of the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment